Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Katelyn: Here in Hungary

So the good news is...we have a ton of new investigators. We were so blessed this past week. We met so many people and had a lot of success with finding. It was cool. I wish I could just describe to you person after person that we meet. Some people we talk to are so nice and cool, and some people are genuinely crazy. Okay, a lot of the people we talk to are genuinely crazy (one man told us that aliens took Christ away in a spaceship). But I love it because it makes finding more interesting.
It's weird to me to see the wide range of treatment that we receive.Some people are super, super, super nice to us. They coo over us and talk with us for a long time and even if they don't want to hear our message they wish us good luck with our work and tell us that they hope we marry well. Others will  literally slamb the door in our faces. A lot of people just ignore us, especially on the street. But sometimes we talk with really friendly people. Last night we talked with this old man who has had three wives because they keep dying and they had all practiced different religions. What a life.
I love Sundays because we get to go to church and see the ward members. The culture is a little different here, especially with kids. Kids run all over the place during church. A few weeks ago, three little toddlers were running around and all of a sudden they rushed the podium all at once. So three parents ran up at the same time and grabbed the kids and took them back to their seats, and all the while the speaker just kept on going. It was so funny. Yesterday this little girl was running around and she ran out of the chapel for a bit and then she came back with a huge strip of yellow toilet paper that she held up behind her as she ran like a streamer. I was dying inside. The kids are so cute. Everybody in Hungary bundles up their babies in these puffy little suits to keep them warm and it is adorable! 
We got to see a baptism yesterday. It was one of the elders' investigators so we don't know him very well but he seems like a really amazing person and I am so happy for him. After the baptism there were refreshments and it was cool to see how Hungarian refreshments go down. Instead of lining up like we do in the states, they take plates or napkins and everyone hovers in a big group around the table, grabbing treats as they eat and talk. I was super impressed by the care they took with the refreshments to make them look pretty. I sent some pictures of it because I thought everything was so beautiful. 
I also sent a picture of a woman named Kríszti. She is a recent convert that we get to teach and I love her so much. She is like a Hungarian version of Aunt Melissa. She is gorgeous, classy, and so kind to me. I love her. We taught her a couple of times this week and I prayed really hard on morning to be able to help her somehow, even though I don't speak very much Hungarian. Before we got into the lesson we had planned, she shared that she was having a problem with understanding if money and success is a good thing or if it is bad and something we shouldn't seek after if we want to be righteous. I was able to understand enough of this to start looking for a scripture that popped into my mind and I found it and shared it with her at the end and she told me that it helped her a lot. It was probably a little thing to her but it was a big thing to me because I felt like it was an answer to my prayer. I have been receiving so many answers to prayers lately. I pray for you all every day and I hope that Heavenly Father is blessing you and that all is well with you. 
Much Love,
Naegle nővér
Grandma Gleason- Your DearElder came exactly a week ago so that's how long it takes. Mama J- thank you for the emails. I want to read them in depth before I write back but I don't have much time today so I will probably reply next week. I am looking forward to reading your biography and I will pray for Holly. I know she will do amazingly on the bar. She deserves it. 

















No comments:

Post a Comment