Monday, January 27, 2014

Katelyn: Week 2 in Hungary


Hello again, I hope everyone is doing well.
This past week has been really great. We had some discouraging times, but we had some awesome moments that made up for it. Last week we tracted into an investigator named Lászlo. He let us in and my companion talked to him about the church and some other things and at one point she turned to me and asked me to bear my testimony about the church. I understood what she said but at the time I was still super groggy thanks to jet-lag and I sort of panicked and just said what I felt the most comfortable with saying and bore my testimony about Joseph Smith and the Book of Mormon. Right afterwards I realized that she hadn't even brought up the Book of Mormon and I felt really stupid but it turned out well. He was really interested in the Book of Mormon specifically and he told us he would meet with us again. We met with him this past week and it was a cool program (that's what they call lessons here). It was a little frustrating because he had all these questions that I knew the answers to, just not in Hungarian. It's a little hard to be so silent in lessons, but sometimes I just try to speak anyway and it's good because it motivates me to learn Hungarian. Lászlo stayed afterwards for English class (we teach a lot of lessons in the branch house). At the end of English class a ward member gives a spiritual message and my companion told me that the message this week talked a lot about  some of the things he was asking, so that was good. We are meeting with him again tonight and I am looking forward to seeing what happens with him. Another cool thing that happened this week was that we went to a member's house for dinner. I've never been fed by members before so it was a cool new-missionary expereience for me. The woman's name is Zsuzsa and she has three kids. Her daughter and husband are inactive and we are going to start working with them to try and help them reactivate. Zsuzsa was so nice to us and it was so wonderful to be in her home for a little bit. It was like a little slice of heaven. Before we left she made me put on a sweater she grabbed out of a back room because she said I would be too cold. And she was right. It was freezing and I was grateful for the extra layer. It is icy cold here right now and word on the street is that it is going to get even colder. I am becoming more Hungarian by wearing tights and a scarf all the time. Two things I don't normally like wearing, but I need the layers because we're outside so much. 
Yesterday was an awesome day. I was able to hold some short conversations with a few people at church and that was a huge blessing for me. My companion has been having a really hard time lately. She has a lot of responsibility on her shoulders right now with white-washing a new area and training me at the same time. We have to find a lot because we don't have very many investigators and we've gotten a lot of rejection. I feel bad because I can't really help that much with everything. Anyway, she got a blessing that helped her a lot and we just went out and tracted again yesterday with renewed hope. We went to the top of an apartment building and started at the top. We got no let-ins and a couple of people were really rude to us. Finally though we knocked on a door where the lady told us no and we asked her if she knew anybody that would want to listen to us and she told us to go to her neighbor. So we did, and the nicest, kindest old lady let us in and listened to our message. She couldn't believe that we were only twenty years old and so wise and she kept saying she hoped we would get wonderful husbands who were strong like us and she told my companion that she had strong faith. I said the prayer at the end, and afterwards she told me that I spoke beautifully and chewed my companion out for not having me speak more. She was so kind to us and told us to deformalize her because were her children and told us that of course we could come back and she wouldn't take the Book of Mormon we tried to give her because she wanted us to share it with other people. It was pretty amazing and I know it helped my companion a lot. The whole experience was a huge tender mercy from Heavenly Father and it gave us the strength to keep working.
So the bottom line is, I am healthy, I am happy, and the work is hard but good. 
Please pray for me to be able to progress in Hungarian and stay awake during my studies, I've really struggled with jet-lag but it's getting a ton better. I just need to be able to be alert during language study because I only get one hour a day and if I doze off then it's gone and I need those minutes of practice. 
I love you all a lot. I am proud of all the good things you're doing. 
Take care! Rember that miracles are real!
Love, 
Naegle nővér


Inline image 1

Inline image 1

No comments:

Post a Comment