Sunday, August 24, 2014

Naegle Nover: Sziasztok (Aug. 4th)


Hello again everyone,
This week was good. The program that I talked about last week? It went through! We met with him twice last week and he came to church yesterday, which is pretty amazing. We also visited some less-active members. One was super nice and we had a great time with her. We talked with her about reading the scriptures and going to church and she said, "I know, I know. I know what the spirit feels like and all of that. It's just that every time I say I'm going to come to church something comes up." So hopefully we will be able to help her come back. Another less-active however told us all about how we were being brainwashed and blackmailed (although she doesn't want to officially leave the church for some reason). I guess I've been on my mission long enough that it didn't really phase me and she finally got around to explaining her real issues which are basically the fact that she is too scared to keep the commandments and believes a bunch of false doctrine. By the end of the program we were able to explain a lot of things that she didn't understand and her demeanor had totally changed. But I don't think she will come back any time soon.
Another day we took the wrong train a couple of times trying to get to a program with a lady the elders gave us to teach. We ended up cancelling that day but met with her later in the week only to find out that she has been meeting with missionaries off and on for seven years but doesn't believe in God and isn't really interested in ever getting baptized. She was really nice though.
Another night we got followed home by a drunk girl who called her girlfriend and wanted us to ask her girlfriend to marry her in English (as well as some other not very nice things). Very awkward situation. We ended up leading her through some random streets until she finally went a different way from us and we could go home without being followed. 
Church was good. Everyone was really nice to our investigator and we are getting to know the members a little better. Funny story: We meet in the second story of a building which is being refinished on the outside and as we were having relief society a construction worker walked by the window and gave us a little fright and then a few more came and some of them took off their shirts. It was kind of distracting but we all had a good laugh and then we opted to hold the Sunday School class in a different room. 
A really nice member had us over for lunch this week. She made us fruit soup and these stuffed paprikas and meatballs and it was all delicious!! Probably the nicest food I have ever been served by anyone in Hungary. 
This week in English class I taught them how we use "I am going to" when we speak in future tense a lot more than we use "I will". No one teaches them this in school and they all really liked it except for one lady who was completely not getting it at all and so all the other Hungarians started talking all over each other to try to explain to her what was going on. And I just thought..."I'm going to kill her."
So, the bottom line is, we have one investigator but he is progressing. We are getting better at using the public transportation system. Church is easier for us to understand and I think I can finally say that I speak Hungarian. There are things I cannot understand still and it is hard for me to say everything that I want to say. But I can survive and get around and that is a big miracle. I felt like I should bare my testimony yesterday in church and I was able to go up there and say some of the things that I felt and it was a wonderful experience. Sister E and I talk about how we used to be in the MTC and couldn't say anything and it's really amazing to us that the Lord has helped us so much.
I hope you are having a great week. Take care! 
Naegle nővér



No comments:

Post a Comment