Sooooo first of all, I'll start with the news. We got transfer calls this morning (it's actually still the middle of the current transfer but there are some missionaries going home so they had to shuffle us all around) and I will be leaving Érd (which is pronounced like "aired" in "We aired out the room." Sorry Grandma. :) I am being transferred to a city called Debrecen. I am going to be the senior companion in a trio with a sister who came last transfer and a sister who came at the beginning of this transfer, which means I will be finishing her training. I have heard good things about them both and I am excited to meet them and work with them. Everyone says Debrecen is really pretty, so that will be a change. Two other changes are that I have never served on that side of the country before and I have never taken anyone's place with a transfer before, since I have always opened. So- a lot of new challenges and blessings!
But anyway, this has been a rather long week here in Érd. Our solid investigator Mihály, told us that he couldn't meet at all this week, so that was already a bad start. We seemed to have no work at all and I was really discouraged. We put a lot of effort into pulling out people from our area book to look up, and spent most of the day on Thursday trying to find them. Nobody answered except for one lady who exasperatedly told us that she had already told the missionaries that she is not interested in meeting anymore. It was hard to find all of the places and I have never had such little success with area book work before. That day (Thursday) was probably in the top three worst of my mission. I just felt completely depressed. I didn't want to work, I didn't even want to go grab a treat or go home or anything. I was just feeling hopeless. So, the next day, Friday, we determined that we were going to pray about where to go and then tract until we found someone. We set pretty high goals and my companion had the idea to make a point system for us to try to earn a certain number of points by doing different missionary things like streeting, tracting, ect. We worked really hard that day and not only exceeded our points, but exceeded our goals as well. We got two new investigators, and we also ended up streeting into this guy who said we could go to the branch house right then and teach him and then later came to church on Sunday and accepted a baptismal date. That Friday we were fasting as part of a zone fast and we ended up getting home and breaking our fast almost three hours later than we'd planned. We were dead but it was worth it and it was one of the best days of my mission.
Funny story, the guy we streeted that came to church is a little...eccentric and he told us a lot of stories about strange things that have happened to him that lead him to believe that Christ is with him. For example, seeing a figure 8 in the bottom of his pan when he was done cooking. When he came to church, he walked in a little late so I didn't notice until after Sacrament meeting what he was wearing. He had on jeans, a jean jacket, and underneath a t-shirt with a super awkward close-up shot of a hispanic boy on the left side of the front, and then a super catholic picture of Jesus on the right side. Underneath was a bunch of writing in Spanish. It is probably the ugliest t-shirt in the universe. I almost died because here we are in the middle of Hungary and this crazy guy shows up to a Mormon branch in a t-shirt designed by some very Catholic family in either Spain or central or south America as a memorial to this very weird looking kid who died (it's actually really sad) that he found in a second-hand shop after he met with us so he thinks it is this huge sign because it has Jesus on it and he doesn't seem to realize that it is a memorial shirt and he is telling all the branch members about it and none of them know what to say AND one of the elders here happens to be Mexican-American so he can read the Spanish and the whole thing was just hilarious.
In other news, my entire memory card got erased somehow when I was trying to print off some pictures. Luckily I have emailed home a lot, but it's still a little sad. Things are going well with my companion. I feel like during this transfer we became real friends so I am bummed we don't get longer together but I am excited to see what the future holds. The weather has changed and it has felt like fall the past few days, which means winter is coming up. So weird!! I am really grateful for my mission and that I got to have this experience in Érd, I have grown a lot and I know that Érd will be in good hands after I leave. Thanks for all your support and prayers.
Much Love,
Naegle nővér
No comments:
Post a Comment