They finally turned on all the Christmas lights in the town square. The Christmas tree looks so pretty and lately there has been live music and lots of people all walking around buying treats and things from vendors in the evening after it gets dark. It is all very festive.
This week we taught a lady named Érzsébet and her aged mother, Irénka. It was our first lesson and when we showed up the mother let us in and I didn't know that she was living there so I was a little worried for a while that we had gone to the wrong apartment and a senile lady had let us in. She acted perfectly normal and just chattered at us like she had been expecting us but she didn't look like the lady I had met on the bus. She told us all about her youth and kept patting me on the leg with her four-fingered hand..Fortunately Érzsébet showed up after a little bit and we were able to teach.
We also taught a girl named Zsofi who is eleven I think and her grandma is the Relief Society president and one of the rocks of the branch. We taught the 10 commandments and it was really fun. I love to teach it through the Abinadi story. Abinadi was an amazing man.
At our English class a woman named Judith who I have known for a while now and have been hoping to meet with came up and asked if she could meet with us individually to practice English. I told her that we usually do half an hour English and half and hour talking about God and our church and she said great! So we had a lesson with her later this week and it was good. She is soo cool and we really love her. She went to high school in America because her dad was an ambassador or something and she showed us her yearbook a few weeks ago.
Then after English class, we taught a lesson for anyone who would stay and we focused it on Christmas and used the Joy to the World video. Afterwards we approached a girl that stayed because we hadn't met her before and we asked her if she had a Book of Mormon (we had just talked about it in the lesson). She said she didn't, but she wasn't sure if she was worth giving one too. It was pretty cool because another student who met 4 years or so ago with the missionaries but isn't really interested in the church or so he says piped up immediately and said of course she was, everybody is worthy of having a Book of Mormon. Obviously we gave her one anyway and talked with her a little bit. Sis Nybo was smart and gave her a hug right before she went away and I think it meant a lot to her. She has a hard time with Christmas we found out later when she came to our Saturday class that her father passed away and that's why. She says she will meet with us when she feels ready and so we are just going to keep working with her and trying to help her until then. She is so cute and we love her.
We set up with Erika, a super cool young mom we streeted, to meet with her family on Wednesday. PLEASE pray for her and her husband Laci (Law-tsee) and for us that we can have a really successful first meeting with them. It will be a little stressful because we had to squeeze it in between two other appointments and we have to get over to their house in time and then we only have a half hour. So please pray because they have 3 kids and seem really amazing.
Another investigator I talked to on the phone today said that she read!! Woo hoo! Her name is Hilda and she's the one who's sibling died.
László and his son came to church yesterday and the new senior couple offered to teach his son piano and they accepted. I am really excited because I think it might help his wife Éva get interested.
Tuesday we went to an English speakers club where this club just meets to practice speaking English and a member invited us. We pretty much were able to talk the whole time and ask them questions and they asked us lots of questions. It was really fun and we hope to find some cool people to teach from it.
Also we returned the umbrella to the lady who gave it to us and we gave her a Book of Mormon. She said we could come back so we will hopefully see her this week.
Also, I got a phone call from the sister that took my place in Debrecen. Apparently a guy that Sis Williamson and I found and started teaching right before I left is getting baptized! So for the first time someone that I have taught is getting baptized!! I teared up a little when she told me. We are going to try to go to his baptism. His name is Laci and it's really a miracle because he has progressed so fast. I remember telling Sister Williamson before I left that I thought he would be one of their solid investigators but I never expected him to make changes so fast! I am really happy for him.
As a final random note, yesterday we were talking with a member when we heard a big ruckus and we looked out on the street and saw a big parade of maybe a hundred motorcycles and almost all of the riders were dressed as Santa. It was crazy! And it made us laugh.
Anyway, we had a pretty good week. I wish you all a great week and hope you are enjoying the Christmas season!
Love,
Naegle nővér
No comments:
Post a Comment