Tuesday, which just so happened to be Mardi Gras, which just so happens to be one of my favorite holidays, was the start to a rather sad week. The very first significant thing that happened was that as I was reaching into the cupboard for a measuring cup to make breakfast with, some random shot glass that was in there fell out and shattered. Sister Curtin walked in to see if everything was okay and when I explained she just laughed and said, "Well, it can only get better from here."
She was wrong.sort of bandaged it up. My companion called the mission president and we were told to go to Buda where there is a very good doctor's office that the mission uses. It took us a long time to get there because we were so far out, and the tram broke down once, but other than that everything went really smoothly. Sister Curtin randomly had hand sanitizer with her, so we squirted that all over it and even though it hurt like the dickens, it was cold so it kind of felt good too. The owner was very cordial about the whole thing and said that she had all the papers to prove that the dog had received all his shots and the wound so far isn't infected and the bone wasn't broken. It hurt really bad the first two days, but now it's just kind of a dull throb all the time and it's not a problem unless I think about it. I am learning to appreciate thumbs now. Every-day tasks like washing hair and getting dressed are significantly slower without one. But my companion is very nice and patient and does all the dishes. So, the good news is that I don't have to do dishes, we got to go into Buda a bunch of times this past week (which is my favorite place in the whole world, except for home of course), and I got to meet a bunch of nice Hungarian doctors and nurses. Oh, and Sister Smith brought me my package that night so I got to open it a few days early.
The bad news is that we got dogged nine times this week and because of all the doctors visits we weren't able to do all the work that we should have. However, we did get to meet with a really cool investigator named Attila who is a fireman. He showed us the fire department and it was awesome. We just started meeting with him and we're really hopeful that he will progress quickly because he met with missionaries a few years ago and was just forgotten until we found him in the area book. We also meet with a super cute Chinese girl who doesn't speak Hungarian very well. So we gave her a Chinese Book of Mormon and it's funny because we're all speaking in a language that is not our mother tongue. The best news of the week is that Laci came to church. We were thinking that he wouldn't because he didn't really like church last time and he feels weird there, but we've been praying for miracles and we left for church yesterday and looked down the street and there he was, walking towards us. I looked up at the sky with a big grin and said, "Thanks!". Well, actually I didn't because we were speaking only Hungarian outside the apartment yesterday. So I actually just smiled really big and thought it in my head.
So, we had a very poor week as far as numbers go, but we learned a lot and were really blessed in other ways. In the lessons that we did teach, I had the opportunity to lead out in a lot of them and that was a really cool experience for me to be able to actually do some real teaching in Hungarian. I realized this week that I am almost 1/4 of the way done with my mission and so even though the future can seem daunting, I know it's really only a very short time that I have to be here. We went back yesterday to the dog's house and gave them a copy of the Book of Mormon, with a pamphlet and a letter that I wrote saying thanks for being so nice and sending the immunization papers so promptly. Who knows if anything will come of it, but
if nothing else, I will always have some nice scars on my thumb to remind me of my mission and that God is always with us, even during the "ruff" days.
No comments:
Post a Comment