Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Naegle Nover: Another week

> Well, all I can say is that what people told me about how on a mission the days are long but the weeks are short is coming true. There have been some weeks that went by really slowly but I think they are starting to speed up. This past week flew by.
> The highlight of the week was thanks to a woman named Margit. We had her name as someone who was baptized but hadn't been to church in a long time so last week we set out to find her. We found the house, and rang the doorbell and a woman came to the gate and let us in. "Wow," we thought. It is an awesome thing to be let into someone's home with zero hesitation on her part. We went in and she told us her story. She and her daughter were taught by missionaries a long time ago and her daughter eventually grew up and served a mission and just recently got married in the temple but lives in Utah with her husband who is American but served his mission in Hungary. Margit's husband never got baptized and Margit doesn't go to church because she works on Sundays a lot and she has to work because if she loses this job she feels she won't be able to get another job because she is older. We shared a message about faith and asked her to read Alma 32 in the Book of Mormon and we planned a time to come back. We've been back twice now, and the second time her husband was present and participated during the lesson. They were very nice but she didn't read and didn't really promise anything about coming to church and we were thinking that it would be a long time before we would get to see her come back to church. But then yesterday guess who showed up?? Margit!! We were sooo happy. It was like a big gift from Heavenly Father to be able to see her come to church. It was truly a miracle.
> Another cool thing that happened was that a church member who I don't know that well saw me rubbing my neck during Relief Society (I sleep on it funny so it gets all messed up) came up to me after church and asked me in English if she could give me a massage. I was stunned. Who does that?? It was basically the nicest thing anyone has ever done for me. I didn't even know how to react. I got to know her a little bit and I guess she served a mission in Temple Square and that's how she learned English. To be honest, I was really humbled by the whole thing. There I was, thinking that I was such a woe-beridden missionary, worrying about lessons and numbers and there was this lady who has kids and a busy life who noticed me and thought to do something nice for me just because she is a good person. I have a long way to go to become that Christ-like. I don't know if I was able to properly tell her thank you but I think it's worth mentioning whenever we notice people and do things for them, they don't forget it. You never know how your actions may affect other people. It was nice to get a quick neck massage, but it was even better to learn a lesson about being aware of the people around you. I was worried about getting lessons and meeting criteria and I forgot to remember that there were people all around me.
> I am very, very grateful for the opportunity that I have to learn these things and for the Atonement. Because of the Atonement I can change and become someone better. Because of the Atonement, it's okay that I've made mistakes because I can repent and try again. Everyone can. That is the best news I've ever heard of. People can change. People can grow. People can become completely new people because they live the gospel. And sometimes people mess up, stop living the gospel, and stay away for a really long time. But they can still come back, still change, still become clean. That's why I have hope.
> I hope you all have a wonderful week. Thank you for your prayers and support. They make a big difference.
> Sok szeretettel,
> Naegle nővér

No comments:

Post a Comment