So I didn't want to put this in the long email because I was afraid I was running out of time, but here is a really cool story that is happening right now. We teach an English class each week as a way to give service and try to find people to teach. One week a new girl showed up. She was totally glowing, and I could just tell by the way she smiled back at me when I smiled at her that we would teach her someday. Anyway, she has become a regular at English class, and she is actually pretty good at English, but she's not quite at the point where she could use it professionally.
We often offer to meet with people individually to teach 1/2 hr English and 1/2 hr gospel. A few weeks ago, Sister Curtin had the idea to go around during class and ask people individually if they would like to meet. It was a little different because usually we just send around a sign up sheet. When I got to E..., she was a little hesitant, but she said we could call her. After class, I saw her talking to another girl that we already met with named Kriszti, and I'm pretty sure I overheard E... asking her about how it is to meet with us. I got really excited because we really wanted to teach her.
Later that week, when I called her, I asked her again if she would like to meet, and she said, with a big sigh as if she had been thinking about it and had finally made up her mind, "Sure. That would be great." So we set up to meet with her.
In our very first lesson, she asked us tons of questions about Mormons and said that she had felt like she should come to English class but that she was nervous because she had heard all these bad things about Mormons. But then, she finally came, and when Sister Curtin said the opening prayer that day, she thanked Heavenly Father for helping everyone come and E... felt something during that prayer and felt like it was referring to her. Then she found out that this family whose blog she follows is a Mormon family and she couldn't believe it because they are so normal!! She commented on how happy we seemed all the time, etc. etc. and it was just really awesome in general. We gave her a Book of Mormon during that lesson and she was not only willing to say the closing prayer, but she specifically prayed that she would not be lazy in reading the Book of Mormon, which we hadn't even asked her to do yet!
The next lesson she told us about a lot of concerns that she has. Her coworkers and mother and friends persecute her for meeting with us. It's really sad. But she is so nice, and thanks us, and brings us treats! What?!! Anyway, we taught her the Restoration that time, but we told her we would teach her the Plan of Salvation the next time because it answers some of the questions and concerns she has about life.
The next lesson we brought Kriszti, who we knew would be perfect for her because they are both completely glowing and kind and gorgeous! It was everything we had hoped and dreamed. The first thing E... did was ask us to see the baptismal font, and Kriszti was able to tell her about her baptism and answer a lot of her little concerns about it. We never even got to the Plan of Salvation because E... had sooo many questions that we could tell had just been building up. Kriszti was able to answer a lot of them and it was really cool to watch because Kriszti is a new convert herself. E... told us that she had decided to come to church that week, and she had looked in the Liahona to see how long of a skirt she needed to wear and went and bought a skirt to wear but she got sick and couldn't come. We were floored because we had challenged her to come to church before and she had said she wasn't ready for that. She didn't come yesterday because she was out of town at her parents', but we are praying really hard that she will come this weekend to conference. We think she will and we are soooo excited. Stay tuned for what happens. We are meeting with her on Tuesday.
No comments:
Post a Comment