Hello
again. We're emailing today instead of Thursday because yesterday was
Thanksgiving and everything was closed down so we had to find different times
to do our p-day stuff. Yesterday was an awesome day. Elder Nelson spoke to us
in the morning, and it was broadcast to all the Missionary Training Centers worldwide.
My companion and I sing in the choir so it's possible that all the MTC's in the
world have seen me singing in my bright yellow sweater. You know the one. :) We
walked to the temple and sang a bunch of hymns in Hungarian, and then we
returned for a Thanksgiving program. (Oh, and they fed us a very nice
Thanksgiving dinner for lunch.) We were sitting close to the front and an older
sister asked us if we would help in a skit, so I got to play an Indian woman in
a super ridiculous Thanksgiving skit. My line was "How". It was me,
Sister Erlandsson (my companion), and a sister from the Finnish district. We're
kind of famous now for being the Indian women, and everyone made fun of us. :)
Ash was in the front row and she kept laughing at me. Everyone had fun. The MTC
really tried to make Thanksgiving fun for us. We ate a sack dinner because the
employees go home for their thanksgiving dinner. We had a picnic in the room of
some of the Albanian sisters and it was really fun. The Albanians and the Finns
are super nice to us and we get along great! We're in the same zone/ward and we
live on the same floor and have classes on the same floor and eat at the same
time so we see each other a lot. They have all gone out of their way to make my
companion and me feel welcome, which is nice because we are the only sisters in
our district.
After dinner we had a
big service project and then we got to watch Ephraim's Rescue. All the
missionaries got to watch it together in the big auditorium and it was super
fun for everybody. In all these events I got to sit by Ashlyn a couple of times
and we got to hang out for a good 20 minutes or so and take pictures and
everything. It might not sound like a lot but 20 minutes is super long for a
missionary schedule.
Mom had a bunch of
questions for me so I'm going to try and answer them.
P-day is Preparation
Day. It's a day that we take off several hours to do things like laundry and
shopping. We email for an hour on p-days. While we're at the MTC we get to go
to the temple on p-days. We've been once so far, and since the temple is
closing for maintenance, we'll only be able to go one more time before we
leave. Maybe two more times. It was really awesome when we went. We went in the
morning last Thursday with a bunch of missionaries from our zone and it was so
relaxing and uplifting. It was so wonderful to feel of the spirit there and
remember that one of the most important reasons we are on missions is to help
people come unto Christ so that ultimately they can be sealed to their families
in the temple and live with them forever.
It was funny because
during the session, one of our teachers walked in to help and I was so confused
because I thought for a second that he was there as part of the MTC experience,
like to check up on us or something. Turns out, he just happens to volunteer at
the temple every Thursday. Threw us all for a loop.
My companion arrived
the same day I did. We are the only ones in our room, and I'm pretty sure it
will stay that way because there are some empty rooms in our hall. We are the
only ones with just two in a room. The Finns and Albanians all have four per
room. They've been here for three or four weeks and we're going to be sad when
they leave. But it will make us excited to leave for the field ourselves.
We have four teachers:
Brother Grossen, Brother Runnells, Sister Moody, and Brother Beaumont. A lot of
the time we call Brother Beaumont "Peter" (pronounced PAY-tare)
because he was our first "investigator". We had to teach him lessons
in Hungarian during our first week or so here, and it was horribly embarrassing
for all of us because we knew so little and we thought he was actually
Hungarian for a while because he wouldn't even speak Hungarian to us in the
halls. So mean! But then he became our teacher and we all gave him a way hard
time about it. He is super easy-going and fun so he's one of our favorites now.
All of our teachers served in Hungary between one and four years ago.
They really love and care about the Hungarian people a lot and we like it when
they tell us about the country and what it's like. Apparently the home-cooked
food is excellent there. They will be our teachers the whole nine weeks, except
Sister Moody because she is pregnant and will have her baby a couple of weeks
before we leave. I'll try to get a picture of them and send it to you.
Well, I've gotta run.
Literally, in gym. Thanks for the packages and mail. Aunt Melissa, thank you so
much for the gift. So clever! It is adorable, and I've already used some of the
things. Browns-thanks so much for the treats! I felt so special. :)
I love letters and
DearElders! It makes any day 100% awesome when I get something in the mail, so
if you've got a minute, type up a dearelder at dearelder.com and
let me know what's going on in your lives.
I love it here! Please
pray for me and my companion that we'll start getting really good at giving
lessons. It's still scary to teach in Hungarian but we're getting better. Thank
you all for your prayers and love. I love you!
Until next week! Love,
Sister Naegle
P.S. The Christmas
lights are up now! So pretty and special.
No comments:
Post a Comment