Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Naegle Nover: Maradok Debrecenben. I stay in Debrecen.

We got transfer calls this morning. I get to stay! But I am sad because both of my companions are leaving and I really have loved serving with them. We were doing so well with everything and I am just sad that they are gong. We have done some really good work and I am afraid that without them I won't be able to keep all of our investigators. I am sure it will all be fine though.
This week was great. Everyone is doing well except for Konrad. He stopped meeting with us as much because his wife and family are really against Mormons and he started smoking again. It is really hard to work with him because he says he knows the Book of Mormon is true but he won't pray about it. I ended up calling and when his wife answered the phone I decided to just speak with her (way scary). I told her that in our church the most important thing is family and that we would love to continue to help Konrad quit smoking but we don't want to meet with him if she is not supportive of it. It was an interesting conversation but in the end it just boiled down to we can meet with him but just sometimes. I am sad because he wanted to get baptized so badly but now something has just changed in him and he is just more hardened.
On a brighter note, we had a really good couple of lessons with a woman named Erika. She felt the spirit so strongly and when we explained prophets to her she said, "Everyone thinks there aren't prophets anymore, but they're wrong because you guys have a prophet!" It was pretty cute and nice. She also really likes that we use water for the sacrament instead of wine. Never thought I'd get that response on my mission!
Ben came to family home evening and loved it! He even accompanied the opening hymn on the piano. One of our new investigators named Csabi came to sportnap and had a great time playing soccer. I love seeing investigators come to activities and enjoy themselves. It just feels like a family.
We learned how to make fruit soup (major Hungarian dish) and wedding salad this week. We also went to another city called Miskolc for a conference. All the branches in the area came and it was really good. We drove there with the senior couple (the Steels, who are WONDERFUL) and then went home in a bus with our branch. It was really great. The talks were amazing, and one of our branch members received the priesthood. It was a neat.
Funny story- we were on splits, my companions together and me with a branch member named Dori, and we were about to finish and meet up. As Dori and I came up to them on the sidewalk, we saw that there was a lady talking with them. She looked a little run-down and scraggly and we could tell something wasn't right. She was talking intently to my companion Sister Schnoor and before we even knew what was happening she pulled out this orange glittery scarf and draped it over Sister Schnoor's head. Then she turned to me and asked me to tranlate for her and said, "Translate this:" and then in English she said "Your homeland is the Netherlands.." So I just turned, trying not to laugh and said to Sister Schnoor, "Your homeland is the Netherlands." We were all dying with laughter at that point and poor Sister Schnoor didn't know what to do. The lady kept telling her things and moving the scarf so it hung over her face like a veil. Then she actually put her head under the veil too and we all just died. It was really funny but also a little scary and then got scarier when after she finally took the scarf back and we made to leave, Sister Schnoor asked her if there was any way we could help her. When she said no, Sis. Schnoor said, "Okay, we will pray for you" and then she started screaming "NO! I pray to my OWN god!" And then we walked quickly away. Probably one of the strangest and funniest experiences of my mission. Maybe you had to be there but just seeing Sister Schnoor's huge scared eyes as this random lady draped a scarf over her head was so funny. We laughed into the night about it. Still laughing, actually.
It was a great week including a lesson with a guy who chewed us out for saying that Joseph Smith had seen Christ but we couldn't tell him the exact features of Christ's face, a lesson on a bench with a guy who walked out of his apartment with the sisters right when they tracted into him because he wanted to learn English so badly, a lady who told me I had pretty eyes but my pupils were too big and that my ancestry was from Switzerland, and many other adventures.
Hope you all had a great week and are loving the fall. Soon the holidays (including my birthday of course) are coming! Can't wait! But actually I can wait, cuz I'm in Debrecen!! Love you all and pray for you always!
Naegle nővér








No comments:

Post a Comment